The pandemic induced a lot of people to try new things, I know friends who tried yoga, cooking, cycling, running, walking, etc. Some enjoy it, some did it because they need the exercise and some did it as they needed some activity to get them out of the house.
I played a lot of sports as a youngster cricket, football, badminton and I was never interested in activities like going to the gym or running or walking. Although I did try it, I never enjoyed it and so stopped doing it completely. Since 2008, I have been playing badminton regularly (daily 6.00 to 7.00 a.m.). I enjoy it, look forward to it and it had become a routine (the alarm ringing every day at 5.15 am, getting out of the house by 5.40 am and ready to start the game at 6.00 am). Occasionally stopping for a cup of tea with fellow players after the game and so on.
The pandemic put a stop to it as sports clubs were shut due to lockdown.
Couple of months went by thinking 'things should be back to normal soon', but I realized its not going to be normal for a long time. After couple of months of zero activity, I decided that till the time sports complexes open, I will do some walking (I hated it, but I did it).
I am not a voracious reader but I do read a lot. A few years back my cousin had introduced me to audiobooks, which I did try but went back to kindle and physical books as I did not enjoy it.
During my walks I used to call old friends and acquaintances to see how they are doing. I was speaking to the same cousin (audiobook guy) one day and he asked if I am still playing badminton. I said "no" as sports complexes are shut and explained to him that I walk for an hour now and don't enjoy it very much and so on.
He laughed and said "you know what, you should try an audiobook while you walk".
I replied "I did try a few years back on your suggestion and did not like it".
"Try it again", he insisted.
I tried it the next day and I liked it, in fact I loved it.
Now I like audiobooks and because of it, I also like going for walks.
People often need encouragement to get going and do what's best for themselves, the society or the country at large. Sometimes the encouragement is in the form of a pandemic or a friend/ cousin.
#randomthoughts #behaviourchange
Written by Naveen Nandan
No comments:
Post a Comment