I received a message from a Bank which said “From 1st
October 2013, calls at phone banking services on IVR will be free. Agent handled
calls up to 2 per month are free. 3rd call onwards there will be a
charge of INR 50 per call. For more details visit www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com”.
I happen to hold a credit card of this well known international
bank that sent me the message and happened to recall an incident that happened
with me a month back. I had realized that I had accumulated some reward points
on the credit card and wanted to redeem it. I visited the Bank’s website and
selected the reward and tried to redeem it online. I was asked to verify some
details like DOB and mobile number. When I entered the mobile number I was told
that it does not match with the one in their records and showed me 4 digits of
a number that I had discontinued when I moved from Bangalore to Mumbai 6 years back. I had
also made it a point to call the Bank and inform them my new address and
telephone no. I know they have my current details as I happen to get alerts and
updates on my new mobile number.
I called up the call centre to inform them about the issue. After
spending about 5 minutes with the IVR, I managed to get a phone banking
executive who asked me for my mobile number so that he could verify it. After
listening to me he said “YOU ARE MISTAKEN SIR, WE HAVE THE CORRECT NUMBER IN
OUR RECORDS”. I then explained to him how I was trying to redeem my reward
points online and the mobile number there was not matching my current mobile
number. The phone banking executive then says “OK, I GET IT NOW. YOUR NEW
DETAILS HAVE NOT BEEN UPDATED IN OUR ONLINE DATEBASE”. The executive then put
me on hold so that he could verify the records and the call got disconnected
before he could come back on the line and confirm that it has been changed. Since
I had already spent 15 minutes I did not bother calling again.
The point I want to make here is, if the Bank is charging me
INR 50 per call to speak to a phone banking officer, shouldn’t they be paying me
INR 50 as I had to speak to a phone banking officer because the Bank failed to
update my records online (for the last 6 years). Shouldn’t they also pay me
another INR 50 because the line was disconnected and now I have to make a
second call and spend another 15 minutes explaining the same story to another
phone banking officer?
Written by Naveen Nandan
Calling a Call Center of a bank or a teleco is the biggest pain. I get upset even before making the call anticipating the agony i m going to face through some senseless moron who has no understanding of my problem @ hand. To top it up with being charged for the call is Murder in Broad Day light. Uff... I had been calling Apple Customer Service a month back , i was surprised to notice that the guy on the line was not a Parrot and most importantly had empathy and quickly understood my problem. Post the call for 15 days, they gave me a call back every alternate day to check on the status of my problem and if it was resolved or not. WOW !! i was floored..
ReplyDelete