Wednesday, February 19, 2014

LOST IMPRESSIONS

Over the last 18 months or so I shared jokes with friends on WhatsApp, I also shared photos with friends on WhatsApp, and I shared updates with different groups… also using WhatsApp. In short, I used WhatsApp to communicate with all and sundry at large.
What was the impact?
I stopped using SMS, well… who would want to spend money on text messages when you have a FREE tool right? (kind off free anyway). Now the only SMS that I receive are bulk messages from Domino’s, Shoppers Stop and other retail outlets and alerts from banks etc.
My usage of Facebook for updates and interaction with friends has also reduced drastically. They are all there on WhatsApp and it’s convenient, easy and takes very little time. While mobile phone operators lost revenue because of WhatsApp, Facebook may have been losing impressions due to WhatsApp. In a December 2013 blog post WhatsApp claimed that 400 million active users use the service each month. Could a few million of those be lost impressions of Facebook.  
And yesterday (February 19, 2014) Facebook buys WhatsApp for $19 billion… is it a move to buy back the LOST IMPRESSIONS.

Written by Naveen Nandan

No comments:

Post a Comment